Unoccupied House Insurance

Unoccupied House Insurance with Prosura

There are many life events that can cause your property to be left vacant. Awaiting a house sale, going abroad travelling, a home renovation, or when the owner has sadly deceased.

Whatever the reason, if your home is due to be unoccupied for an extended period, you must have home insurance for your empty property to ensure it’s properly protected.

Our experienced brokers will be happy to discuss your requirements and prepare an unoccupied home insurance quote to suit your needs.

What is Unoccupied House Insurance?

Unoccupied Home Insurance will protect your property from damage or theft while it’s vacant for an extended period, normally up to around 12 months.

Standard home insurance typically allows a property to be empty for 30-60 days. However, this can vary between different insurers, so it’s always best to check your policy wording.

If your property suffers damage due to a fire, flood, or storm, for example, or is burgled while unoccupied, your empty house insurance will cover the cost of repairs, replacement, or a complete rebuild should the worst happen.

Who needs Unoccupied House Insurance?

Unoccupied property insurance could be needed for a number of reasons.

  • While awaiting probate. You will need insurance for an unoccupied house if the owner has sadly deceased.
  • You can insure your empty house for sale while waiting to exchange contracts.
  • If you’re a landlord and your property is empty between tenants you can get buy to let insurance for your unoccupied property.
  • If carrying out a refurbishment that leaves your property vacant for more than 30 days, you’ll need unoccupied property insurance during the renovation.
  • You may need empty house insurance on a short term basis if the occupier is away at a second home, taken into care, or away travelling, for example.

You could invalidate your home insurance policy if you fail to tell your insurance provider that your home is vacant for longer than is allowed in your policy terms. This could leave you in a difficult position if you were to make a claim.

For peace of mind, please contact our specialist insurance brokers to discuss home insurance for your vacant property today.

What type of Unoccupied House Insurance do I need?

As the owner of the vacant property, you will benefit from buildings insurance for the empty house to cover any damage to its structure and permanent fixtures and fittings.

The sum insured should be sufficient to cover the re-build cost of the property should the property be destroyed by fire, for example.

Unoccupied contents insurance can also be included if you wish to cover any possessions within the vacant property too.

What else do I need to consider with Unoccupied House Insurance?

Our brokers have access to a wide range of top quality insurers, which means we can provide an unoccupied house insurance comparison to suit your particular needs.

Empty house insurance quotes can be tailored to your requirements:

  • Unoccupied house insurance for 3 months
  • Home insurance for 60 days unoccupied
  • Home insurance for 90 days unoccupied

Whether you need short or long term unoccupied cover for your property, our experienced brokers will ensure that your policy is suited to your needs with adequate and appropriate cover.

Can I add optional extras to an Empty Home Insurance policy?

As with all the insurance products we prepare for our customers, we can include additional cover to make sure it’s perfectly tailored to your exact needs.

Some of the optional extras we can add to house insurance for an empty house are:

  • Unoccupied contents insurance
  • Home emergency cover
  • Legal expenses cover

Why compare Unoccupied House Insurance with Prosura?

Prosura prides itself on being an independent insurance broker, with access to a broad range of insurers to curate a tailored product that’ll exceed your expectations.

Our high-quality home insurance for unoccupied property is built on years of experience in the insurance sector and in-depth industry knowledge, delivered to you in a simple, jargon-free way.

To compare unoccupied house insurance quotes with the specialist insurance brokers at Prosura, please get in touch today.

Contact us

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.